Friday 9 July 2010

The Moon landing

Was the first ever Moon landing a hoax? Was it all Hollywood? I had never previously even considered this a remote possibility until six or seven years ago when a programme appeared in the UK which suggested that there might be good reasons to doubt that Man ever made that “one small step for man, one giant leap for Mankind”. I am not saying I believe it was a hoax; only that there is now doubt in my mind when none had previously existed. As a child I had watched transfixed at the events taking place through the medium of a black and white television on that historic July day. Apparently, none of this happened. So what did happen? Well, according to disbelievers, NASA was under increasing pressure to justify its expenditure especially during a moral sapping and expensive Vietnam war. NASA needed results. And, quickly. Towards the late 1960’s a variety of key critics voiced concerns about the progress being made to reach the Moon before 1970. It is even claimed that the deaths of key Apollo personnel meant that it would be easier to fake a Moon landing. Possibly, using Hollywood techniques out in the bleak Nevada desert. Then there are technical points about the film itself. Why are there no stars visable? It is not the right type of shadow. etc etc. Some say that if it was faked the Soviets would surely have said something. They would have known. I am not so sure. I accept that they might have known but better to say nothing than reveal how much they really did know. In the Cold war scheme of things this would be logical if not prudent. Ultimately, this is a conspiracy theory I am agnostic about. I have no idea who is telling the truth. But I remember being amazed at the thought of it all on July 20th, 1969.

No comments:

Post a Comment